Forms of Abuse
WIN House strives to support and shelter women who are experiencing:
1. Emotional Abuse - name calling and humiliation, threats and ‘mind games’, withholding love to control or change behaviour, i.e. ‘the silent treatment’, extreme jealousy and accusations.
2. Physical Abuse - hitting, shoving, punching, pulling hair, the threat of physical abuse, destroying belongings or hurting pets.
3. Sexual Abuse - unwanted or forced sexual touching or intercourse
4. Spiritual Abuse - preventing/punishing one for practicing one’s faith, forcing one to conform to another belief system.
5. Financial Abuse - preventing one from bettering oneself economically through school or work; ie burning books or making one miss classes or work, total control of income, spending the family’s income irresponsibly, leaving little or no money for bills, clothing, food, and children’s needs.
6. Psychological Abuse - threats of violence against a woman, her children, friends, relatives, destruction of possessions, suicide threats by abuser.
WIN House Crisis Line: 780-479-0058